Where to place the BCID sticker

Forum » Newbies | Refresh | Search

Sort Options 

Complete Thread
Where is the best place to put the BCID sticker? I've been putting them in the inside of the front cover, but I've recently found some with the sticker on the back outside cover. Is there a location that is better? Also, how often do people actually have their books caught? I've entered a couple dozen but have only had 3 or 4 caught. It seems like all the books in my area only have 1 journaler, sometimes 2. I haven't seen any with more than 2. Is this typical?

Inside the front cover is the preferred place, though people label them everywhere. The problem with putting them on the inside or outside of the back cover, or on some random page inside (which I have seen) is that if someone picks up the book and looks inside and doesn't easily see that it is a registered book, they can inadvertently re-register it, not realizing that the book is already a BookCrossing book. Then it will have a new (easier to find) number and the person who originally registered it will not hear back from it again.

This has happened to me before, I've bought books at used book stores that did not appear to be registered, had no BookCrossing or Free Book labels on the cover, nor a Tiny Sticker on the spine, started to register them, and then found, by accident, a label somewhere inside the back cover or some inside page and avoided re-registering the book at the last minute.

I've also seen some people put the BCID on the outside of the front cover, but I stick with the inside of the front cover, since most of the stickers that BookCrossing sells actually say, "See Inside." And I don't like to cover the title or author with a label the size of the BCID sticker.

I think the stats show that somewhere between 10 and 20 % of books are caught, eventually, but they may not get a journal entry for a long time after being released. If you look at the Site Watch forum you'll see sometimes a book is journaled in a few days, but more typically it can be weeks, months, or years (even a decade) later. BookCrossers definitely need to enjoy the releasing, and have patience while waiting for possible catches, which are the icing on the cake.

Best of luck!

Thank you for the feedback! I will try to be patient-I just got lucky my first month and it set me up with high expectations. : )

I just got lucky my first month and it set me up with high expectations. : )

Tell yourself that right now someone probably is enjoying reading a book you provided them. And if you're lucky, in the future, they will write back.

But even if they don't, you still did a good think sharing a book with others.

When you place a sticker in or on the book, I like to place a piece of clear packing tape over the front. I do this with others' labels too. Don't want them to get washed away or drawn over!

I have always placed mine on the inside cover to the front of a book.
I think it's because I use these to stick on the front cover of a book which indicates "see inside for details" even though it doesn't say 'front':
https://www.bookcrossing.com/store#!/Officially-Official-Stickers-English/p/1989993/category=554409

Even though inside front cover is the preferred location, I sometimes put my labels on the first inside page - i.e. the right hand side opposite the inside front cover.

Sometimes I just think it's easier to see/read/and copy the BCID when it's placed there. Especially in a new book with a tight spine sometimes I think it just lays better and is more accessible on the right than on the left. And in mass market paperbacks I don't like to cover the bar code and isbn which is on the inside cover.

Even though inside front cover is the preferred location, I sometimes put my labels on the first inside page - i.e. the right hand side opposite the inside front cover.

Sometimes I just think it's easier to see/read/and copy the BCID when it's placed there. Especially in a new book with a tight spine sometimes I think it just lays better and is more accessible on the right than on the left. And in mass market paperbacks I don't like to cover the bar code and isbn which is on the inside cover.

Interesting! I'd be afraid to stick a label on a page instead of a cover, as it's so easily torn out - though if someone really wanted to remove labels, they probably wouldn't be deterred by having them inside (or outside) the front cover. (I do add BCIDs on the title or contents page and on the last page of text, to increase the chances that a finder will notice them.)

Re not wanting to cover up the bar code and ISBN: I actually do cover those up with my labels sometimes (depending on what else is on the inside cover). The finder has no need of that information in order to journal the book, and it's usually available in other places - back cover, copyright page - if they really want it for some reason.

There's certainly nothing wrong with doing it your way; I just have my own preferences!

When I run across one of my "oldies but goodies" I notice that I also used to put the BCID on the first inside page, until I found a few books with that page torn out even though there was still a BC sticker on the outside so I knew it had been a registered book. At that point I started putting them on the inside of the cover instead of on a page of the book except in very rare occasions.

If there's a gorgeous illustration that I don't want to cover I might put the BCID label on the facing page, but I would write the URL and BCID in small letters somewhere on that inside cover so the number will be there, even if someone rips out the page with the label.

But again, it's just my personal preference following a bad experience; we all do it differently. There isn't a rule.

I actually just labeled one this way!

The reason I did it is this trade paperback has front and back cover flaps that obscure half of the inside front cover. I still could have put the label on the front cover and had it be half visible, but I decided it would be better to be on the inside front page and be fully visible instead. [see image->] https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/15309059

What I do in case of back cover flaps covering things over, is I still put the sticker on the inside of the cover, but also write a short sentence (Yay, you've caught a travelling book!) and add an arrow pointing to the sticker.
I'm just too afraid of front pages getting ripped out.

And I try to write “BCID xxx-xxxxxxx Bookcrossing.com” somewhere in the book, usually on the page with all the copyright info or on the last page, or both.

I’m now reading a book that was labeled by someone who had a stamp to put the BC info in it. They also stamped it on random pages inside the book. Unfortunately the ink bleeds through on the next page. But the person who registered the book, did make sure that the BCID won’t get lost.

Not sure if I’m the only one, but sometimes I add an extra bookplate with BCID on books that were registered by someone else. For instance, if it only contains a written BCID without info and I’m going to wild release it. Or if I think that a 1 could be mistaken for a 7 or something like that.

sometimes I add an extra bookplate with BCID on books that were registered by someone else. For instance, if it only contains a written BCID without info and I’m going to wild release it.

Yeah, I do that too. If it's going to be wild released, it needs proper labeling. I also add one or more stickers on the outside in such cases.

i.e. I nearly always label the outside cover with an "I'm a free book"-type sticker then I also add a label on the inside of the front cover, (with details of who registered it, where and when) to try and avoid pages/labels being removed. I also like to add spine stickers (covered with sticky tape to avoid them popping off) so the books are easily recognised by other bookcrossers. I also write the BCID plus the website name on the inside of the back cover and also sometimes at the end of the text of the story. This is all very time-consuming I know but I do try to do most of them most of the time to improve my chances of getting a catch. I do quite a lot of wild releasing.

I prefer putting the code on the outside cover, with tape covering it for protection. Most of the time if you put it on the inside cover, people don't look there and you're book will probably not be found.

if you put it on the inside cover, people don't look there and you're book will probably not be found.

And you are basing this on your experience with all the books you've released already?

Even the "Officially Official" stickers sold by BookCrossing say "See Inside for Details."

When I have enough labels, I put one inside and "I'm a free book" outside.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.