I can't register my books!

Forum » Newbies | Refresh | Search

Sort Options 

Complete Thread
I am a new book-crosser and am having trouble registering my books. They are real and I am filling out the info sheet, but it always says "Sorry error. Retype and try again"
How do I do this?

Hi, and welcome! Sorry you've run into that problem - it's been around for a while now, with discussions in the Announcements and Bugs forums. Here's a recent post I made about how I get books registered when the lookup isn't working:

https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/9365028

I've found that it generally works for me from about 10 AM (US Eastern time) to 6 PM, though the window can vary. The "skip search" option will reliably let you register books if the lookup isn't working. Hope that helps!

Hello GoryDetails,
Thanks so much for offering help. I keep trying but it still won't register my books. I've contacted the people behind Book Crossing and I am waiting for their reply. Thanks again,
girlgeniusAJ

Hi!
I am having the same problem.. Did you get any response from the support team?

I`m also new to Bookcrossing, and I`m experiencing the same problem. I was able to register my first book, but no other books, so far. All I get is that error message, no matter, if I skip the search, or not.

What can I do?

Please check this news post. https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/745

I`m also new to Bookcrossing, and I`m experiencing the same problem. I was able to register my first book, but no other books, so far. All I get is that error message, no matter, if I skip the search, or not.

What can I do?

When you go directly to the skip-search page, what data are you entering? I've been able to consistently register books that way. I usually fill in the title, author, ISBN (just the digits, no spaces or hyphens), category, and journal-entry text, and have had no problems, whether I'm registering a book or using the journal-entry to activate a prenumbered BCID.

I have heard from some people who have had better luck if they use the manual-entry method but omit the ISBN entirely; that could be worth a shot if you're still getting errors.

Side note: it looks to me as if the search-window just opened again (as of 10 AM US Eastern/14:00 UTC), so you might be able to register books via the lookup. (If so, use the Google-database option and the title and author; that seems to be more generally reliable than the ISBN lookups.)

If you're still getting errors, could you post the URL of the registration-page you're using, plus the data you're entering? If I can reproduce the problem it might be a helpful data point, or perhaps there's something in the procedure you're following that's a bit different from the one I normally use...

What can I do?

The search function using Google Books worked fine for me just now (4:50pm local time in Arnis, Schleswig-Holstein Germany / 10:50am in Indianapolis, Indiana USA / 5:50pm in Moscow, Russia) entering a few test book titles.
Without the information of what you were trying to register it’s hard to give you guidance.
Top tip, enter a book’s isbn without any spaces or -‘s.

Or simply omit the ISBN. It is not necessary and it causes just trouble.

I find that putting in the ISBN code to register works perfectly fine. If that doesn't work, contact book crossing.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.