Success in Manitoba - places to release books

Forum » Newbies | Refresh | Search

Sort Options 

Complete Thread
where are the best places to set books free in Winnipeg, Manitoba?

My personal opinion is there is no "best place" in any city, as a book getting caught is a matter of serendipity -- the right book being in the right place when the right person happens to see it. I personally don't think that is predictable.

Then again, I believe there are some bad places. The site has asked us not to release in airports (except for the ones that have free book shelves of course). I wouldn't release anywhere near a trash can, as it makes it too easy for a mean person to toss it in. I would never release in any store that sells books; it may cause problems for the customer and it is unfair competition for the store, when they are trying to make a living selling books.

I'm sure others will chime in as well, as many people do have favorite release spots. In my case I'm more interested in getting books to people who may want to read them than in getting catches, so I do sometimes release in places where I'm *less* likely to get a catch, but people are *more* likely to not have access to a good selection of books, like a food pantry or shelter. (Which is not to say that I don't love getting catches. They are the icing on the cake and always a delight!)

I wouldn't release anywhere near a trash can, as it makes it too easy for a mean person to toss it in.

In my early BC days I once left a book on top of a garbage can and, it sounds ridiculous to say it now, but it never even occurred to me that someone might throw it out! It just seemed like a convenient, stable spot in a crowded place (it was one of those bins that has a cover with a flat top, like you could set trays on it). I remember posting about it and other bookcrossers being like "you did what?!" Luckily, it got caught, so I know it didn't get knocked (or pushed) into the bin that time!

As for Winnipeg, I have only spent a number of hours there (once on a cross-country drive we got to Winnipeg late at night, slept there, and left in the morning), but I did release a book on my way out of town, and it did get caught! The book was A Man Called Intrepid and I left it with the statue of Sir William Stephenson near the Legislature. I have often found I have better luck with themed releases like that, but you never really know. I believe the finder of that one was just waiting for a bus in the area anyway, not specifically visiting that statue.

Some places where I have had good luck are on park benches in parks like Assiniboine, St. Vital and Kildonan. Places that have lots of people on a regular basis are usually good but sometimes it just takes the right finder. I once left a book on a large rock by the side of the campground in Wasagaming and it was found. Making the book stand out some way helps. I used to use neon coloured starbursts on the front of the book with the Ballycumber logo and "Free Book I'm not lost (see inside book for details)" on them. I've also used the special BC plastic release bags.

If you want places that will probably result in the book being read then Little Free Libraries are good bets. However, anyone who releases regularly in LFLs will tell you that quite often they don't get journalled even though they have been taken from the library.

Until a couple of months ago we also had an Official BookCrossing Zone set up in the Second Cup on the corner of Edmonton and Graham. New management took over and asked us to remove the books. We are looking for a new spot that we can set up another OBCZ. If you have any suggestions I would love to hear them. If you are on FB there is a Winnipeg Official BookCrossing Zone group that you can apply to become a member of. We also have a Yahoo group called wpgbookxing which you can apply to join although groups on Yahoo may have a limited shelf life. We would love to have you come meet the rest of our small group. Trading books with other bookcrossers is a great way to get new books. Keep an eye on the Meetings and Conventions threads for announcement of a meeting.

RhysB 9 mos ago
RhysB
Hello, I’m new to the scheme. I am a bus driver in Australia and caught a book, I thought it was lost property at first. I will read it and distribute it on another route.

wingMoemwing 9 mos ago
RE: RhysB
I will read it and distribute it on another route.

Very cool! Welcome aboard.

Hello, I’m new to the scheme. I am a bus driver in Australia and caught a book, I thought it was lost property at first. I will read it and distribute it on another route.

Welcome!
That's the best way to discover Book Crossing I think : )
Waiving hello from Delphi, Greece!

I think the only other catch I've had from MB was in Dauphin, a book I left with Amisk the beaver (it was a kids book about a beaver). But I've just passed through MB a couple of times with stops in a few towns, so I think I've only ever done right releases in the province-- I left one book in Winnipeg, one in Dauphin (that one has subsequently travelled to SK, AB, and Cuba!), two in Brandon, one in Portage, one in Tache, one in Souris, and one in Prawda. So there's not much to go on from me!

Either way, welcome! I hope you'll like it here. Best of luck with your releases!

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.