Stamper vs. Labels

Forum » Release Techniques » Parent Thread | Refresh | Search

Sort Options 

wingAylaMeywing 11 mos ago
I use both...
I have an official slim stamp from Bookcrossing as well as a custom made Dutch one.

For my own books, the ones I buy and read myself, I use custom made labels from Bookcrossing and tiny stickers when I release them. But I also get donated a sh*tload of books from the bookstore I volunteer in and it would be madness (and very costly) to use labels for each and every one of them. So the lucky few I think are just beautiful books get real labels as well, but for the rest of them I use a stamp. I use the tiny stickers more often, even for those donated books. I just can't afford to buy só many labels for all the books I release.

Complete Thread
Call me slow, but it just now occurred to me that we could potentially use a stamp to mark a Bookcrossing book rather than labels/bookplates. I am ALWAYS running out of labels, but if I had designed a stamper all those years ago, I wouldn't run into the same situation.

I remember Bookcrossing used to have the small stamp (I think it just said Bookcrossing.com.), but I was looking at the larger stamps people use for their little libraries and envisioned it more as a bookplate replacement than an additional marking.
https://img0.etsystatic.com/---/il_340x270.631337278_1z9c.jpg

Has anyone tried a stamp with a handwritten BCID? Did you like it? Or do you prefer book plates/labels?

I use stamps *and* labels, and have for years now. It would certainly be possible to use stamps alone, hand-writing the BCID; not quite as colorful as a bookplate label, but easier than hand-writing the entire release information.

The Supply Store did stock stamps once upon a time. One variety included Ballycumber and the basic text from the free-download labels - no explicit "BCID:" caption, but easy enough to add a BCID beneath it.

Another stamp was designed by the BCinDC folks for the Washington DC convention; they gave 'em out in the welcome bags, and very nice they are. They have a very simple caption, just the site URL, "visit this book's online journal", and "BCID:", and are small enough to use even on crowded title-pages. (I mainly use mine to stamp the book's *last* page, or the first page of the index for non-fiction, as a reminder to the reader to journal the book if they didn't do it before they read it. I hand-write the BCID beneath the stamp.)

I've made my own stamp, too, one that I use on title-pages; it's a standard office-supply-store customizable stamp, three lines of text, and I managed to squeeze in the site URL plus "Where's this book been?" and "Read, Enjoy, Release!" Again, I write the BCID beneath it.

*And* there's a plain old rubber stamp, circular, with Ballycumber in the middle and the site URL around the edge - that one doesn't come with a built-in inkpad the way the others do. I have one of those, too, but don't use it as often as the rest - but it might make a nice alternative to a sticker for use on the outside covers of books. Hmmm, maybe I'll dig it out and experiment with it - though it wouldn't show up on dark covers, and might not stick well to glossy ones. Worth a shot!

I use bookplates - the free-download ones as well as the supply-store ones - on the inside front covers of my books, as they contain more info than most of the stamps and are a bit more eye-catching. But one could use markers to hand-color parts of a stamped design - a quick yellow dab inside the body of a Ballycumber might be enough to draw the eye.

just the site URL, "visit this book's online journal", and "BCID:", and are small enough to use even on crowded title-pages. (I mainly use mine to stamp the book's *last* page, or the first page of the index for non-fiction, as a reminder to the reader to journal the book if they didn't do it before they read it. I hand-write the BCID beneath the stamp.)

That sounds perfect! I always hand write just such a note next to a spine sticker. Jealous now!

The trouble with ink stamps is that they would be a one off source of income for BC. The labels are a continuing source of money, and money helps keep BC going. As does membership of course.

I used to have a stamp but wasn't very good at stamping so it came out even. Part was always too light to read. But that was just me.

I would worry about the ink running though, if it got damp. The only way I'd use one is if I put clear packing tape over the page to protect it. (But I do that on all my labels too.)

Thanks all. It sounds like I might just carry on with the labels then.

I know this is an old thread, but way back when I first discovered BookCrossing, I made a custom stamp to assist with my BookCrossing. It says:

Don't forget!
Register your find @
BookCrossing.com/

and then I hand-write the BCCID after I've stamped it. No graphics. Just the words. I stamp the title page, about halfway through the book, and then after the very last word of the story.

I also have a bookplate that I put in the front of the book, and a custom label that says "Not for sale. Never for sale. Just for you." which I put over the barcode/ISBN.

I haven't released many books in the interim years as I have a great love of eReading and eBooks aren't crossable, but I've had a handful or so caught and logged.

I know this is an old thread, but way back when I first discovered BookCrossing, I made a custom stamp to assist with my BookCrossing. It says:

Don't forget!
Register your find @
BookCrossing.com/

I like your idea of a stamp, but I’m surprised that you had books journaled since your stamp asked people to register the book. When people make a mistake and register, instead of journal, a catch, it gives them a new BCID number and you don’t usually hear from it again.

This has happened to me a few times years back. Then I got real careful about always asking them to journal, not register, when they found my releases.

Since the URL has the BCID in it (maybe I wasn't clear about that), anyone typing that URL is taken directly to the page where they get to make a journal entry, rather than the BookCrossing homepage where they can try to figure out how to register a new book from scratch.

For the sake of clarity, I suppose I should have said that my stamp reads:
Don't forget!
Register your find @
BookCrossing.com/{BCID}

I also have a bookplate that I put in the front of the book, and a custom label that says "Not for sale. Never for sale. Just for you."

That might mean the book will be thrown out by some charities and second-hand businesses. Although I like that wording, I think they increase the risk to the book. I don't mind if the book is sold, especially if it's by a charity. Although I know one local charity which holds regular HUGE book sales, rescues BC books and releases them elsewhere. It used to be in a pub that supported the charity, but I think it might be in a hospital now.

If anyone else is out there looking for a stamp design they don't have to create from scratch, I found one on DeviantArt!

https://www.deviantart.com/---/BookCrossing-Stamp-65547884

They said they created it for the online printing company VistaPrint's Large Size self-inking stamp, but I'm sure the design can be used with a lot of "we make a stamp out of your artwork" places.

They have silhouette clipart and a “bookish quote” and I can write the BCID by hand.
I have a vintage BC slim stamp too!

I do it all - labels, stamps, handwritten...

It's far easier than handwriting instructions and I think over time I'll get good use out of it. I used an image of Ballycumber with the website written on it, and then I added instructions to enter the BCID, with a space to add the BCID. I think it looks more official this way, but I'll have to see if it results in more journaled catches. I'm considering the stamps as a late birthday gift to myself.

wingAylaMeywing 11 mos ago
I use both...
I have an official slim stamp from Bookcrossing as well as a custom made Dutch one.

For my own books, the ones I buy and read myself, I use custom made labels from Bookcrossing and tiny stickers when I release them. But I also get donated a sh*tload of books from the bookstore I volunteer in and it would be madness (and very costly) to use labels for each and every one of them. So the lucky few I think are just beautiful books get real labels as well, but for the rest of them I use a stamp. I use the tiny stickers more often, even for those donated books. I just can't afford to buy só many labels for all the books I release.

I just can't afford to buy só many labels for all the books I release.

Did you know there are also free downloadable labels available from the Bookcrossing site? You can get both blank and pre-numbered versions. They may be a wings-only feature, but it seems that you do have wings.
https://www.bookcrossing.com/labels

While it's nice to support Bookcrossing by buying the nicer labels, I agree that it can be expensive to use them for *all* releases. Like you, I tend to save my supply for particularly nice books or special releases.

I use the prenumbered labels of the BookCrossing wings feature. In this way, I can get clear, prenumbered labels and also support the website, The custom labels are too large for many of the books I release and would ultimately prove too costly for me considering the amount of books I release. I cover these labels in clear packing tape so they are more difficult to remove and are protected from damage.

I also use a smaller Little Free Library stamp in all my books, but those are pretty much to keep my books from being taken from my Little Free Library for resale purposes.

One thing I do is to not use Avery labels for my Bookcrossing prenumbered labels. I cut out the labels with a scalloped-edge scissors before affixing them to books. In this way, I can Identify MY books by sight alone. :D

I cut out the labels with a scalloped-edge scissors before affixing them to books. In this way, I can Identify MY books by sight alone. :D

That's a fun idea! I actually own some fancy-scallop shears, but never thought of using them that way. (I generally do use the Avery sticky labels, but sometimes fall back to plain paper as it is less expensive; might try the scissors trick next time I do that.) I can generally spot my own labels anyway, though; I've taken to writing my town and the date in the lower left corner of the labels, as a way of adding info for the finders, especially if the book's been released far from my home or has been traveling for years.

And you know you're a dedicated BookCrosser when you can identify other BCers' books by the label-style, writing, stamps, and/or sticker style and placement, whether there's a screen name or not!

I bought a stamp from the BC store years ago, probably more than a decade. It still works. It says:
" My previous readers want to know where I've traveled! Please go to http://www.bookcrossing.com and make a journal entry with the BCID number inside my front cover, then Read and Release me!"

I stamp in on the 1st and last page as well as across the outside of the pages. I write the BCID under the one on the last page , as well as using a label inside the front cover. I love my stamp.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.