Releasing Hardcovers with Dust Jackets?

Forum » Release Techniques | Refresh | Search

Sort Options 

Complete Thread
My preferred format for wild releasing is paperback-- but I have some hardcovers with dust jackets to release. I'm sure I've done this before over the years, but those releases have been few and far between, so I'm just thinking a bit about labelling strategy. What do you or would you do?

Do you leave the dust jacket on, or do you remove it?
If you leave it on, do you secure it somehow (tape it down, glue it)?
Do you put a full label under the dust jacket or inside the book, as well as on the cover?
Any other tips or tricks, "do"s or "do not"s that you would recommend?

The only time I take off the dust jackets is if they are too worn or ripped to continue on their journey. I don't secure them in any way.

My BCID label or bookplate always goes inside the book, inside the front cover, whether it's paperback or hardcover.

I put some sort of free book or take me home label on the front of every book, or on the dust jacket if it is a hardcover. And a Tiny Sticker on every spine, book for paperback, dust jacket for hardcover. [Covered with clear packing tape of course, otherwise they pop off.]

If I didn't release so many I would probably take the time to put labels and Tiny Stickers on the hardcover books themselves, in case the dust jackets get lost or destroyed, but I don't always do that. The BCID label however is *always* on the book itself, so even if the dust jacket is missing that is still there.

Have fun releasing!

PS - I've been enjoying reading about your themed releases lately.

ETA: I do most of my releasing indoors, but when I do leave one outside, it is always in a Release bag to protect it from the weather.

Don't take the jacket off unless it is to worn out. I find , in my OBCZ, that people go for a picture on the cover rather than a plain cover.
By wild release always use a sort of ziplock and you can't go wrong.

Do you leave the dust jacket on, or do you remove it?
If you leave it on, do you secure it somehow (tape it down, glue it)?
Do you put a full label under the dust jacket or inside the book, as well as on the cover?
Any other tips or tricks, "do"s or "do not"s that you would recommend?

I leave the dust jacket on unless it's totally falling apart. I don't fasten it down - though if the book's an ex-library one where the DJ is already tacked down I'll usually leave it that way. (For ex-library books in plastic jackets, I generally remove the plastic - it's often faded and scratched, and usually has some of the library labels on it. By removing the plastic I make the books look less like stray library books. I do leave any "withdrawn" library-stamps visible, though, to make it clear that the book's really an EX-library book.)

I generally do not put a BC sticker *under* the DJ, though it's not a bad idea; at LFLs, I've seen quite a few books taken while the DJs were left behind, or the books disappear entirely and then reappear without their DJs, so some folks apparently hate the things {wry grin}. I do put stickers on the DJs, and I label the books inside the front cover, with additional stamps-and-BCIDs on the title page and at the back.

While none of this guarantees a JE, I think it does improve the odds - though I've had catches on very casually-labeled books (a single prenum label slapped inside the front cover, or even basic hand-written registration-info), so you never know!

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.