Recycled hanging bags for releasing?!

Forum » Release Techniques | Refresh | Search

Sort Options 

Complete Thread
I was just unwrapping some new t shirts for the kids in those celophane bags with a built in hanger and thought they would make pretty cool release bags! They're not totally waterproof, but better than nothing and it will be so fun and easy to hang them up somewhere! Anyone using these already? How did it go?

I haven't tried that, but if they're sufficiently waterproof that any rain would run off the top, it might be worth a shot - nice option for hanging books in trees or off fences. I might try them out, though - put some old newspaper or paper towels inside, and then drizzle water down the top to see if it seeps in at the edges. If the contents stay dry, you're good to go!

I think water can get in around the hanger, but tbh I would probably only release it on nice days in busy places, so it doesn't have to be downpour proof.

I'm thinking the two I have will be hung in a playground, very likely in the one in the zoo that echos the monkey habitat.

I think water can get in around the hanger, but tbh I would probably only release it on nice days in busy places, so it doesn't have to be downpour proof.

You're braver than I am. I don't trust the weather not to change around here before a book gets picked up. Some may stay where they are left for a long time, some not. When I release outdoors I *always* use a waterproof Release Bag.

Good luck on your releases, I wish you sunny skies until they are caught!

They are okay for keeping the dirt off the book, but would not work in rain. They are good for books placed indoors, or in busy outside places where I know the book will almost certainly be picked up quickly, and no rain is forecast. I try to reuse the plastic bags where I can, rather than use new bags.

I always use colourful duct tape to properly seal them though, so the book will stay safe in our changeable weather. They're great for quickly hanging on fences, branches, etc, when there are a lot of people around and you don't want to draw too much attention to what you are doing ;)

I always use colourful duct tape to properly seal them though, so the book will stay safe in our changeable weather. They're great for quickly hanging on fences, branches, etc, when there are a lot of people around and you don't want to draw too much attention to what you are doing ;)

good idea!

I usually manage to reuse all plastic bags for other purposes, thank you for thinking of reuse.

The release bags are admittedly quite cost effective https://www.bookcrossing.com/store#!/Release-Bags-English/p/2007207/category=554707 however I'd like to have the option of a bioplastic or degradable version. A bag only needs to last a few months, not centuries! And it would be a pity if the person collecting the book disposed of the bag incorrectly, resulting in plastic pollution for centuries after the book completes its travels...

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.