Gothenburg, Sweden (2013)
Melbourne, Australia (2014)
Oxford, UK (2015)
Athens, Greece (2016)
Oslo, Norway (2017)
Bordeaux, France (2018)
Mainz, Germany (2019)
The Gold Coast, Australia (2020), 17 – 19 April 2020CANCELLED
Tampere, Finland 2021 (16th - 18th April 2021)
The Gold Coast, Australia (2022) - 22-24th April 2022

The bids for 2022 will be presented at the 2020-convnetion in The Gold Coast, Australia 17 – 19 April 2020. As the convention in 2020 is cancelled due to Corona, the convention is moved to 2022.

You don't have to be present yourself to make the bid, someone can do it for you.

https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/Conventional-Wisdom - a link to a guide to organising a conventionn.

Please contact the commitee, bookcrossinggc2020.com, especiallly if you need help to present a bid if you are not there to present it yourself.

wingAzukiwing 1 yr ago
Well...
I was hoping to submit a bit for Hong Kong for 2022, but with the current political situation... I am totally unsure. I will be traveling to Hong Kong and was planning to scout out venues, but it won't even be safe for me to go around town. : (

I was hoping to submit a bit for Hong Kong for 2022, but with the current political situation... I am totally unsure. I will be traveling to Hong Kong and was planning to scout out venues, but it won't even be safe for me to go around town. : (

That's a shame as Hong Kong would have been great. Maybe Singapore instead? Taiwan maybe too, and hope the situation is still okay there in 2022. It would be good to be in the Asia/Pacific region. Hawaii would be another great place.
But of course it's up to whoever is prepared to run it.

Heck, if it was in Napier, New Zealand I'd help run it...

It works the other way around: it could be in Napier, New zealand IF you or others would run it there. It starts with the people, the event comes after that. 😊

It works the other way around: it could be in Napier, New zealand IF you or others would run it there. It starts with the people, the event comes after that. 😊

I know. I just feel too new to be able to propose it. If I could find a way I'd head to the next one to experience it before putting my hand up. I need a lotto win or a massive uptake in sales to do that first :D

I know. I just feel too new to be able to propose it. If I could find a way I'd head to the next one to experience it before putting my hand up. I need a lotto win or a massive uptake in sales to do that first :D

Next April on the Gold Coast. Trans-Tasman fares aren't that huge, and there's plenty of accommodation there. Quite possibly share accommodation with others - there are stacks of AirBnBs around.

Helsinki in 2021 will be considerably harder to get to, but Finnair flying out of Auckland via Singapore is a good start. You'll have missed the boat for 2022, though. We'll be voting on bids for the 2022 convention at the Gold Coast.

As Moem says, it *could* be. Napier is a delightful town with a unique history. I've been there a couple of times, and that Art Deco city centre, not to mention the seaside situation, is a winner.

The New Zealand Unconvention is scheduled for 2021 in Christchurch - we take turns each year to run an event; the New Zealanders get the odd years, and we Australians get the even - and my guess is that the New Zealand crew who would most certainly be involved won't be keen to have three years in a row.

Or they might take the position that if some other team of New Zealanders wants to do all the work, they'll just turn up and enjoy the festivities.

2023 would be a better bet. In fact, Napier would be an excellent choice for the NZ Unconvention scheduled for that year. Aussie/NZ uncons tend to be fairly laid-back affairs anyway. We all know each other and the biggest decisions are usually where to stay and how many lunches and dinners we can squeeze in together.

2022 is more likely to be European - let's face it, that's where the heart of BookCrossing is nowadays, and travel within Europe is a lot easier and cheaper than jetting off to the far side of the world - or possibly a return to America, who haven't held a convention since the excellent 2011 affair in Washington DC.

I'm sure there will be some discussions at the upcoming New Zealand unconvention in a few days. It's actually being held on the Australian soil of Norfolk Island - they organising crew must have not noticed this - and if you are quick, you may be able to join in. The limiting factor seems to be getting seats on the few planes in and out, and for most of the attendees it will be four days if not a week, unless you do a Greta Thunberg and take a yacht over.

Any interest?

Any interest?

Um, this may seem weird, given that we are both part of the Gold Coast 2020 team, but I'd like to make a pitch for the Gold Coast 2022 BookCrossing World Anniversary Convention.

If we have to cancel this year's event, which is on the cards, going by the torrent of closures and bans and restrictions from all directions.

At this moment, we are still good, and if we have the thing, it should be a ripper event.

But if it's out of our hands, I'd like to pencil us in for the next slot.

Any interest?

Um, this may seem weird, given that we are both part of the Gold Coast 2020 team, but I'd like to make a pitch for the Gold Coast 2022 BookCrossing World Anniversary Convention.

If we have to cancel this year's event, which is on the cards, going by the torrent of closures and bans and restrictions from all directions.

At this moment, we are still good, and if we have the thing, it should be a ripper event.

But if it's out of our hands, I'd like to pencil us in for the next slot.

I'd second that if having to cancel happens. That way, by 2022 I might have a chance of finding the money and coming along - plus it only seems fair if you have to cancel at all...

If I can't make it for 2020, I'll definitely be there in 2022!

If I can't make it for 2020, I'll definitely be there in 2022!

we, too..

Could't make it this year, will plan for 2022 then!

We have unfortunately just made the call to cancel the convention this year. So now we officially throw our hat into the ring again for 2022.

The plan is to just run the same convention in two years, so start your saving & planning so we can make it even bigger and better. The dates will be April 22nd-24th. For Aussies, it's a long weekend with ANZAC day on the Monday. I've checked a few states and it is again in school holidays.

Since we have no opportunity to put bids to the crowd at the convention, if anyone else has a bid, I guess post something here and the crowd can vote.

I am so feeling with you all... it must be devastating after all the hard work and anticipation, especially for you, Romney.

I second Goldcoast 2022!

I am for it.

More so for Romney staying safe from the virus though -- everybody, really, but I know Romney is at higher risk.

I am for it.

More so for Romney staying safe from the virus though -- everybody, really, but I know Romney is at higher risk.

Thanks 6of8. I'm actually not high risk because I am lucky enough to have not needed chemo or radiation, and I am far enough away from my surgeries to be pretty much fully recovered :-) There are others more at risk than me simply due to their age.

But yes, the health of visitors was definitely a big part of our decision. As was that fine balance between cancelling too early and forcing people not to come that may have anyway, and cancelling so late that people lost the opportunity to cancel accommodation etc if required (I have until the end of the month to cancel mine). We have been discussing it for days! Oz enforcing the 14 day self-isolation for any international arrivals was the last straw - who wants to come to Australia and spend the first two weeks in a hotel room???? No one!

I think the gold coat should have the 2022 slot, if online votes count here’s mine, I’ll certainly be saving the pennies. It’s a shame you had to cancel but I guess people’s health was a big factor in the decision.

As I am one of the people who had to pull out of going to the Gold Coast I would be very happy for it to be now to be at the Gold Coast in 2022

The plan is to just run the same convention in two years, so start your saving & planning so we can make it even bigger and better. The dates will be April 22nd-24th. For Aussies, it's a long weekend with ANZAC day on the Monday. I've checked a few states and it is again in school holidays.

Since we have no opportunity to put bids to the crowd at the convention, if anyone else has a bid, I guess post something here and the crowd can vote.

You have my support for Gold Coast 2022!

And mine.

And mine.

And mine!

I have updated the the list.

I have updated the the list.

WooHoo! Thank you

I vote in favor of you getting the bid. Especially since you've put so much work into this already and have had such a huge disappointment at having to cancel.

I vote in favor of you getting the bid. Especially since you've put so much work into this already and have had such a huge disappointment at having to cancel.

Thank you!

I for one am so disappointed that I will not be with my BC conventioneers on The Gold Coast. Guess I can go put my pile of beach clothes back in my wardrobe and start looking at my insurance policy for a refund.
Thank you to all the GC Team for all the hard work that you had put in over the last 2 years. Virtual hug for you all ((((X))))
Take care of yourselves everyone and I hope you all stay well. If you do get Covid-19 as some of us inevitably will I hope it is a mild illness for you. Look after your elders and protect them and keep in touch with your BC Community. X

2010 Amsterdam
2020 Gold Coast
2030... We should all stay at home and do a readathon...

LOL - sounds like a plan!

what happened in Amsterdam? I wasn't on BC then

Vulcano ...with the unspeakably name Ejasomethingfökul🌋

The volcano is in Iceland, but it was spewing smoke into the air so many flights were cancelled. A lot of attendees couldn't get to Amsterdam at the last minute.

many flights were cancelled. A lot of attendees couldn't get to Amsterdam at the last minute.

Ah, I see.

The volcano is in Iceland, but it was spewing smoke into the air so many flights were cancelled. A lot of attendees couldn't get to Amsterdam at the last minute.

And a lot of us couldn't get out! At least not when we had planned to. Though I must say that Amsterdam was not a bad place in which to be "stuck". Lots to do and see. And our hotel was very accommodating. Of course, our rooms continued to be available, because the next guests couldn't arrive, and the hotel gave us the same low internet rate we had booked under.

I actually arrived in Amsterdam the afternoon of the day they closed the airport. So I was lucky.

I actually arrived in Amsterdam the afternoon of the day they closed the airport.
I think our flight from Istanbul was the last to arrive before they shut down Schipol completely. Luckily our British Airways flight via Heathrow had been cancelled, and we were put on a Turkish Airlines direct flight instead.

We got to Amsterdam, enjoyed the convention, looked around the museums and galleries, enjoyed the same quirky hotel, and then spent the four days before flights resumed driving to Switzerland and back. Five of us and our luggage in a Volkswagen Golf.

It was an epic trip. Our guide was fluent in several languages, and could show us to some great tourist sights, but we had to drop him off in Switzerland and make our own way back. We had more room in the car, but we had to fumble our way back through four countries on the strength of my high school French, and discover interesting things at random. Like just how fast a bog-standard rental Golf will go on the Autobahn. (215 km/h, if you are wondering. I think everyone in that car found God at some point on that trip.)

I almost died a few times over my sense of humour. We drove through some small German town looking for lunch, and one of the ladies spotted a sign saying “Bäckerei” which means “bakery”.

“Did that sign say ‘Bacteria’?“ she asked, puzzled.

“Well,” I replied, “we are in Germ-any.”

Oh, Skyring... I miss your sense of humor! So sorry, that we can't take part at the BC at GC. Woulg like to test your German. As you told me, that's "fluent as a native "

Five of us and our luggage in a Volkswagen Golf.

I will never forget watching you pack the car! I didn't think it could be done, but you all did it.

I have heard the legends of this trip many times from Melydia. But strangely she never mentioned that particular bad pun. I guess there were simply too many of them.

I have heard the legends of this trip many times from Melydia. But strangely she never mentioned that particular bad pun. I guess there were simply too many of them.
The atmosphere was strained at some moments, to be sure.

There was one bad moment - well, two, to be honest - when we arrived in a town and had to hunt around for accommodation in the late evening. The prospect of five of us trying to sleep in a Volkswagen was not one to fill the car with joyful anticipation!

But, all in all, it was a road trip to remember. The weather was good, the company was excellent, the sights of Europe, and above all the merry meals we shared made it an experience to treasure.

I went back a few years later with my son, and we retraced some of the trip, meeting RazFaz and Hugbert in Heidelberg, where we dined in a brewery, made lightning trips into Luxembourg - a great place to fill up on cheap fuel, thanks for the tip, Joe! - and France, and explored the ruins of the Schloss at Landstuhl overlooking the Ramstein air base and drinking some excellent German beer, and some South American rosé at the nearby hotel where we had stayed in 2010.

If anybody needs to fill in their now vacant holiday time, I highly don't recommend hiring a small car, fitting in five BookCrossers - and bags! - and crossing as many European borders as possible in four days. Not at the moment, anyway.

I don't know. What *are* people going to do with their free weekend - or weeks in some cases? Don't tell me you are all going to stay home and read books? How boring!

And prudent.

Well, I finished school today for what is likely to be months. My plans are pretty much self isolation, due to having hypertension. There will be reading (no shortage!) gardening and knitting. Might branch out into some home decorating. Prime Minister now talking about social distancing for 12 months. It's a strange prospect. At the moment it feels scary and definitely not life as I knew it.
Oh, I forgot the online ukulele lessons which will be the highlight of Thursday evenings.
In fact the internet will be my godsend. I will communicate with my class through an online learning portal (that we were already using). Will be strange reading a story to a computer monitor and leading a music lesson not being able to hear anyone joining in.
My world has changed practically overnight. It's gonna take some getting used to.
But chin up. Now's the chance to do all the jobs that I've been putting off for years.
And all those books beckoning to me. I'll be the best read woman in Harwell!!
Take care everybody all over the world. We have a storm to ride. I want you all still there when we come out the other side. XX

So MissMarkey I won't be welcome to sleep on your couch later this year if travel resumes.

Once travel resumes I'm sure the crisis will be over. By then we will both have been tested I expect. Ideally we will find that we've both had it and didn't know and are now immune!

Vulcano

Which greatly disrupted air travel for most of the BookCrossers "from away" as we say here in Maine, USA.

Just had a thought. I didn't got to Amsterdam because i was writing my dissertation due 31st May. Didn't book the Gold Coast because I really couldn't afford it. Maybe I need to start crowd funding for 2030.

2010 Amsterdam
2020 Gold Coast

Haha! It would be hilarious, in a way, if there was a mess up in 2030 as well.

A few days ago I put forward the end of the world as a possible way of messing up the 2030 Convention - but that might be a bit drastic . . . .
https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/9460689
I haven't bought a plane ticket since! I swore that I'd never again put myself in a position where an airline/volcano could snatch a holiday from me at the last minute!!!

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.