🇦🇺 Expressions of Interest - BCGC2020 Early Arrivals Tour, April 16th

Forum » Conventions and Meetings | Refresh | Search

Sort Options 

Complete Thread
I am in the process of putting together an early arrivals tour for the day before the Gold Coast convention. In the past this has been a popular way to connect with fellow attendees and see a little of the area the convention is held in.

While the tour itself is still not finalised, I am looking at a tour based on this. https://scenicdaytourgroup.com.au/oreillys-lamington-national-park-vineyard We will be picked up and dropped off at each of our accommodation, and can also include extras if there is anything else we want to see (within reason of course)

I won't know final pricing until we know the numbers, but I have been assured it will be less than $100AUD. Ideally we will get 24 participants to fill the bus and we will all pay the best price.

Once I know rough numbers I can start to get a better idea of what we can do. So
1. Please let me know if you are fairly certain you would like to do some sort of tour like this.
2. Let me know if you have any feedback or other suggestions for small alterations to the tour.

Thanks, Romney

Oh, and a third question -

Originally we talked about also putting on a Monday tour. At this stage I don't think we have enough people staying until Tuesday to make this worthwhile - but I am just going by my gut feeling on this. If you are keen to participate in a Monday tour, (probably to Byron Bay) let me know and I will look into it further.

Interested Senior Rate
Pick up from 53 Bauer St South Port if possible

There probably won't be a senior rate unfortunately because it's a private tour - but I can always ask the question.

Pickup from South Port may also be an issue, but again, I will ask the question. I only discussed picking up from Broadbeach, but I should have thought that there are a few people NOT staying in Broadbeach. We will sort something out :-)

I'd definitely be keen to do whatever the early arrivals tour ends up being (personally, the meeting alpacas part sounds a bit boring, but that wouldn't be enough to put me off - the stuff I do think would be exciting (like the treetops walk) would more than make up for it, and anyway, the important thing is the chance to hang out with other bookcrossers!)

I'd also be interested in a Monday tour - my flight home isn't until Tuesday afternoon. And Byron Bay sounds really cool.

Yes, I actually agree about the alpacas, so maybe we can change that if we can come up with something suitable. I really want to do the treetops walk too, and this was the only tour including that - and of course wine!

Everything in the sounds good. Absolutely the alpaca and the vineyard. I do have acrophobia so I am not keen about that canopy walk... but I guess I will survive that, for the sake of the alpacas.

We will sign up for sure. And likely a Monday tour.

Sounds like a great idea :)

The alpacas are in Canungra Vineyard but off to one side, so if you're not keen on them, you don't have to be near them. If you are keen, then alpaca walking is a hoot! It is also a pretty place for a picnic next to the stream.

The tree-tops walk at O'Reilly's is free and open to the public, but quite short compared to the private ones on Mt Tamborine or elsewhere. If you're not keen on heights / going on it, then you can do a couple of short walks nearby. The birdlife near the cafe is very tame and used to being fed.

The drive up to O'Reilly's is really beautiful, but be warned it goes up to the National Park along a very winding, narrow road.

To be honest, despite the risk of severe FOMO, I probably wouldn't go as it's places I have been to recently and regularly. I am happy to provide feedback to questions though, or offer a local tour walking / using the tram / ferry / bikes :)

You offered local knowledge - thanks. I have an international flight to NZ at 0620 on Wednesday. Is there a way to get to the airport (OOL) at 4am or does it have to be a taxi? Do Uber, Ola or Lyft operate in the area?

You offered local knowledge - thanks. I have an international flight to NZ at 0620 on Wednesday. Is there a way to get to the airport (OOL) at 4am or does it have to be a taxi? Do Uber, Ola or Lyft operate in the area?

Uber will definitely be available, I'm not 100% sure about Ola, but it is available most places so I am assuming it will be. No Lyft that I am aware of.

I'll be interested in the tour too. Have to admit that I wouldn't be upset if we didn't meet alpacas but don't know of an alternative morning tea stop off the top of my head.

Would the tour be 100% private? What I mean is, if we have fewer than 24 Bookcrossers, will there be empty seats or will the tour operator add members of the public to fill the bus?

Would the tour be 100% private? What I mean is, if we have less than 24 Bookcrossers, will there be empty seats or will the tour operator add members of the public to fill the bus?

Yes, it will just be Bookcrossers :-)

I’m interested in whatever you put on on Thursday and Monday. Pick up Broadbeach. Seniors rate if it’s available.

hugbert &me . Lamington NP was on my list. Nothing against or for Alpacas, but - see it at one of the pictures- no need for coockoo clocks!! Enough of these clocks in our neighbourhood. 😂

Update: the Springbroke and natural Arch tour sounds interesting too. Perhaps insteed of the Alpacas . 😉

Would love to join, as is tradition :) we'd like to take in as much as possible from this trip. We'll be around on Monday too if anything happens.

Great... you made it! Look forward to meet you again.

and speaking for myself, I'd like to see the Alpaca's....
We also stay untill wednesday, so we would be interested in a monday tour. But we've been in Byron Bay, so that wouldn't have top priority. On the other hand, it was nice enough to visit again, I guess...

Yes, please from me, for Thursday.

Yes please to the Thursday tour, I loved O’Reillys when I camped there35+ years ago - Wonderful bird life, and I would love to see it again.

I am also potentially interested in a Monday activity.
Re pickup in Southport that’s not a biggie I can get myself around to a Broadbeach pickup

I'm in for Thursday, if we have the coach to ourselves, perhaps we can set our own itinerary and include a loop through Mt Tamborine, Lamington NP, Murwillumbah and back along the coast, would be a big day, but show lots of the country. O'Reillys offers a good range of walks and a winery for lunch to maintain the recent BC early bird tour tradition? If we do have the coach to ourselves, would mean we could be flexible, just in case of a rainy day? Bronwyna

Some great suggestions! And we will definitely have our own bus/coach :-)

There is a lovely indigenous tour on the GC, which includes a walk around Burleigh Heads headland, Tallebudgera Estuary and a cultural experience with dancing and finish at Currumbin Sanctuary. Might be a good option for a Monday tour?

I’d be up for that.

Hello All

Bludanzer and I have just (within the last 30 minutes) booked our flights. It appears that we will land in Brisbane about 10 am on Thursday. That may put us out of the running for a day trip, but we will definitely be around for dinner and such pre-convention.

Have not yet booked accommodations -- hopefully there will be something left at this point. I am unsure of the impact of the wildfires, but you are in our thoughts and prayers.

There is plenty of accomodation available - there was sadly one beautiful place destroyed on the Binna Burra side of Lamington National Park but the coastline along the GC was not impacted (nor the O'Reilly's / Green Mountain side of the park), so you should have no problem finding accomodation to suit.

Pretty please can we see the alpacas??? ;) or is there anywhere to see koalas?

I don't know if we will see koalas on this trip, but there is a wildlife sanctuary on the Gold Coast where you can even give the koalas a cuddle (this is only allowed in a couple of the states). There will possibly be a Fri morning excursion there - or at the very least I can provide easy instructions to get there by public bus if we can't make it an "official" event. Shameless plug, but you can see what I wrote about my visit a couple of years ago here :-) https://josiewanders.com/currumbin-wildlife-sanctuary/

Wildlife park or another excursion on friday morning - a great idea!! You make traveling and sightseeing for the foreign travellers so easy. 🤗

You may put Kerri and I down for the coach trip.

If anyone is interested in the wildlife sanctuary on Friday morning, I'm happy to lead a group down. I'll look into costs, but at this stage I am looking at pay as you go with public bus fare, entry fee, and lunch.

Happy to take photographs of attendees feeding the rainbow lorikeets and other creatures.

That sounds fab thank you

If anyone is interested in the wildlife sanctuary on Friday morning, I'm happy to lead a group down. I'll look into costs, but at this stage I am looking at pay as you go with public bus fare, entry fee, and lunch.

Happy to take photographs of attendees feeding the rainbow lorikeets and other creatures.

Thank you so much, very kind of you. A fabulous idea of a fabulous guy. Count hugbert & me for it, too.

I'd love to go to the wildlife sanctuary!

I’m interested in the public transport option

I think that Bludanzer and I can definitely make this one. You did promise to reserve us a quokka, so . . .

We (4 persons) are interested in doing this on Friday morning.

I’d like to join a Friday Currumbin trip, please.

Friday morning would be great. X

My stay on the GC is turning into a bit of a family catch up. If people want to join for specific events will it be possible? (Of course we will pay)

My stay on the GC is turning into a bit of a family catch up. If people want to join for specific events will it be possible? (Of course we will pay)

Yes that would be fine, the more the merrier.

Just letting you all know I am still working on getting the details for the tour sorted out. I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Here’s the itinerary for the tour on Thursday. I’m excited because I think it will be a great day!

I currently have a list of 19 attendees from above (which I will share in a list when I get home tomorrow) which means there is space for 5 more people on the tour.

We are paying a single price no matter how many people attend, so with each extra person it goes down. A full tour will mean a price of $50/per person. If it stays at 19 people the cost is around $63/person. I think these are great prices for a full day tour! Please let me know if you are one of those 19 and no longer want to attend. It includes all entry fees to the national parks and wine tasting. Lunch/snacks are at our own expense The final price will be determined the week before the convention based on numbers and payment can be made then either electronically or in cash when you see a committee member.

Depart Hotel​​​​​​​8:00 am

Stop at Kamarun Lookout ​​​​​15 minutes

Arrive at O’Reilly’s​​​​​​10:15 am
Optional Morning Tea and Bird Feeding
Start Tree Top Canopy Walk/Botanic Gardens​​10:50 am
Finish Tree Top Canopy Walk/Botanic Gardens​​11:30 pm
Lunch at O’Reilly’s – Depart O’Reilly’s​​​12:30 pm​​​​​​​​
Depart for Canungra Valley​​​​​

Arrive at O’Reilly’s Vineyard & Winery ​​​ 1:15 pm
Depart O’Reilly’s Vineyard & Winery at​​ ​ 1:45 pm

Arrive at Hinze Dam​​​​​​ 2:15 pm
Depart Hinze Dam​​​​​​ 2:35 pm

Arrive Natural Bridge​​​​​​ 3:05 pm
Depart Natural Bridge​​​​​​ 4:00 pm

Arrive back at Hotel​​​​​​ 5:00 pm

All Times are Approximate.

Sounds good to me. Mr. E. and I are definitely joining!

Great! Count us 2 in for the tour.
Typically me 🤦🏻‍♀️to ask if its possible have a small wine tasting at the wineyard?🍷

Yes, wine tasting is included in the price! How could I possibly arrange a BC convention tour without wine tasting - that would just not be right would it? 😂

Is the pick up and drop off?
I will confirm numbers once I have done extended family consult.

Is the pick up and drop off?
I will confirm numbers once I have done extended family consult.

I haven’t confirmed pickup/drop off location yet. Currently there is only one seat left available after Eli’s-from-Sweden reserving four seats. Unless, of course, people pull out.

(1) I'm keen on an Early Bird tour on Thursday Pick up: Voyager Resort, 167 Old Burleigh Rd, Broadbeach.
(2) Don't know the area to make suggestions.
(3) Am staying until Wednesday so would participate on Monday.

I haven't read this whole thread now when I write this so perhaps the tour is full? Anyway, we (4 people) are interested in a tour on Thursday if it is suitible for children as well. We are leaving Monday so that is not a choice for us.

I have regularly looked at the website to see information like this - haven't had time for the forums lateley. It is quite time consuming to read the threads when one hasn't followed them live. Perhaps there are others like me, so it could be tip to just put a note on the website that the conversation is here. Or perhaps there is one, but I missed it?

Good idea! I have been posting on both WhatsApp and Facebook when I put information on the forums for this exact reason. I hadn’t considered someone might only be checking the website.

two more here, thanks for taking care of us :)

We will have a seperate thread for the Friday tour in the future, but I imagine you will not need to sign up. Simply turn up at the meeting place and go as a group. You will pay for your own bus fare and entry to Currumbin.

Unfortunately there are no spots left available. Please let me know if you are still interested though because then I can include you if someone drops out. Here's who I have listed. Please let me know ASAP if you no longer want to do the tour so I can offer your spot to someone else.

1. Romney
2. Futurecat
3. Azuki
4. Macaufan
5. Awaywithfairies
6. Fee19
7. RazFaz
8. Hugbert
9. Lamelemon
10. Lamelemon +1
11. Enitnaj
12. Enitnaj +1
13. Cassiopaeia
14. Meganh
15. Bronwyna
16. Missmarkey
17. Nursefluff (to be confirmed)
18. Kiwiinengland (to be confirmed)
19. Elis-fromsweden
20. Elis-fromsweden +1
21. Elis-fromsweden +1
22. Tobb
23. Lyttletonwitch
24. Wombles

Take me off the list please at this time.

Will do Edwardstreet

Can I please have that last spot??

Done!

Will do! You are first in line.

Will do! You are first in line.

Nursefluff, a space has become available. Please confirm you still want to come on the tour :-)

Nursefluff (Robyn) has asked me to respond on her behalf - she would love the vacant spot on the tour.

Nursefluff, a space has become available. Please confirm you still want to come on the tour :-)

I’m a possible, depends on final itinerary. I’m also interested in knowing how much bus journey time vs sightseeing.

Final itinerary is above with approximate times so you can see how much time will be spent in the bus.

Tour is currently full though, but we could have people pull out.

Tour is currently full though, but we could have people pull out.

Ahh well, enjoy the trip and I’ll see you at the convention :)

If you are still interested, a spot has become available and I have tentatively booked it for you. Let me know either way.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.