🇳🇿 International BookCrossing Day 21 April Public Display / BookCrossing Release Event, Napier New Zealand

Forum » Conventions and Meetings | Refresh | Search

Sort Options 

Complete Thread
Tuesday 21 April 2020 is International BookCrossing Day, so here at Neath The Rose OBCZ we've decided to host a Public Display/BookCrossing Release Event outside Neath The Rose, Napier New Zealand.
9-10am is Book drop off/Set-up
10am-3pm Books and BookCrossing join-up information will be on display for the general public to pick up and peruse. Come join in/help man the stall-like arrangement outside Neath The Rose, Shakespeare Road, Napier, New Zealand and perhaps help gain some more members in Hawke's Bay or perhaps The World?
From 3pm we'll pack up and head indoors, have a cuppa (or a brew) and have a catch up, and possibly trade well-travelled catches :D
If you can make the event - fantastic - if you can't but still want to take part, PM me for address details and feel free to drop off/post/send any book releases that you'd like to be made available on the day.
Please note: In the event of rain, books that have their own book-release raincoats on will be propped up along the fenceline for the public to grab, and we'll start the catch up early indoors :D
At the end of the day you can either take remaining books home or release them to the OBCZ if you wish...

I guess I have designed this primarily for those of us in New Zealand who may not have had the funds to travel to the Gold Coast Convention, but also, for those that do go to the convention, get home soon after and then don't want the BC party to end???
Last year I did a public release of books outside the property and it was incredibly successful, especially as we're a major route for foot traffic to and from the CBD. This year I'd like to make it even bigger, so for those that are interested, you are very welcome! Please PM me if you'd like the address details :D

Please send them to me! I'll have them available for the public to pick up on International BookCrossing Day, and then, any that don't get picked up, I'll Wild Release them for you afterwards. As with previous message - PM me for address details :D

So, plenty of time to arrive and for you to get organised till 21 April!
Control-released to you, then you make a catch and new release note or wild-released by us the senders (on which zone?) to save you the hussle?

So, plenty of time to arrive and for you to get organised till 21 April!
Control-released to you, then you make a catch and new release note or wild-released by us the senders (on which zone?) to save you the hussle?

My suggestion would be for you to Wild Release to my OBCZ: Neath The Rose which can be found under 'New Zealand - Hawke's Bay-Poverty Bay - Napier - Neath The Rose, Shakespeare Road'.
What I will do if any are left at the end of the day is catch them and then Wild Release them in places around my city for you? I shouldn't have too many left - at least half of them were picked up on the day last year :D

Of course - any books wild released and sent to this event can also be added to the Celebrating International BookCrossing Day Challenge (or similar title(?)) as listed in the Release Challenges :D

I just discovered (through another post in Chit Chat) that I am holding an International BookCrossing Day event in Shakespeare Road on William Shakespeare's celebrated birthday, and death day! The birthday isn't necessarily accurate but it is the day it is celebrated in most of the world. And it is no coincidence re: the name of my street being named for particularly William Shakespeare - in Napier, New Zealand we have quite a few of our oldest streets named after famous British wordsmiths. As a writer I'm quite happy to be living on Shakespeare Road :D

That’s great! I hope you’ll let us know how it goes.

I just discovered (through another post in Chit Chat) that I am holding an International BookCrossing Day event in Shakespeare Road on William Shakespeare's celebrated birthday, and death day! The birthday isn't necessarily accurate but it is the day it is celebrated in most of the world. And it is no coincidence re: the name of my street being named for particularly William Shakespeare - in Napier, New Zealand we have quite a few of our oldest streets named after famous British wordsmiths. As a writer I'm quite happy to be living on Shakespeare Road :D

Actually, I've got it wrong. It coincides with World Book Day (23rd), not Int BC Day (21st). Close though...

This event is still going ahead, at least until further notice, even if it means an unattended pile of BC books for those traveling the street to pick up and nothing else. Still hoping it will be more, but considering the cancellation of the Convention, we have to anticipate there may be hiccups to the process.
So people, lets celebrate at least with books to release, and hopefully still come together to discuss the magic of bookcrossing as well. It's still over a month to go - anything can happen in that time :-)

Good Luck with your event!

Thanks Delphi_Reader! I got an email alerting me to all the releases heading this way, so yay, thank you for taking part :D

Thank you - your parcel of books has arrived! Lovely to see where each of them originated from. A lovely variety. Time will tell just how I'll be able to display them, but don't worry, they will go out there into the world at some point :D

I've notice that Greece to New Zealand mail is surprisingly quick!

I've notice that Greece to New Zealand mail is surprisingly quick!

I can never understand how some countries further away are quicker than some right next door. The quickest I've ever experienced is Switzerland to New Zealand (two days!), usually followed by UK to New Zealand. I never expected that for you guys in Greece - maybe the amount of post is slowing down due to post agencies closing?

Post offices are still open in Greece right now, although many of their employees can take special leaves due to the virus situation, eg single parents or people with serious health conditions etc. On one hand there might be less regular mail from buisiness to buisiness or among people within the country due to the corona virus lock down, on the other hand, there might be an increase to parcels flying around due to people staying home and relying to internet purchases. I'm not sure how all the above affects international postage though...

Because of the 4 week lockdown about to be enforced in New Zealand, the event is currently in limbo. Some event will happen, but at this stage it will most probably be a mass-release of books just outside the property (with a few signs about us). Our road is a main thoroughfare both into town (for essential workers) and down to the beach (for those walking/dog walking), and with libraries closing, I'm pretty sure people will want something to read.
So if you can still send books, then please do. I will follow precautions regarding keeping books safe and clean etc.

Untouched for a while and sitting in plastic bags, will be books released for International Book Crossing Day outside Neath The Rose, Shakespeare Road, Napier, New Zealand.
10am-3pm
After that, any remaining books will be gathered in (using disposable gloves of course) and will sit in their own quarantine for a bit. For those of you who have donated books - thank you so very much - after this, I'll wait until quarantine period is over for the books, until social distancing is also over, then wild release your books in places around my fair city and/or the country - gosh I look forward to travelling again!
Have a lovely International BookCrossing Day, no matter where you are and no matter what you do xxx

Hey, I hope you'll get some nice positive responses, of any and all kinds!

We have so many people walking past our place at the moment (usually it is cars) so hopefully those that are missing the library will find a good book to read while they wait for libraries to re-open.

The books and signs are out now and will be there until 3pm.
The funny thing is, I had originally chosen the hours of 10am -3pm based on the typical school day - students have to be at school by 9amish and leave shortly after 3pm. I was planning on holding it when there was a little less of the madness that is parents dropping off/picking up their children and the mass influx/exodus of High School Girls (we have two girls High Schools up the hill from us).
We'll see how it goes - you never know, this Lockdown time might be a hit!

More than half the books were taken (let's hope at least some get journaled), and, as we were taking down the signs and taking the books in, one lady came along and said 'oh dear, I was hoping to pick up that Isabel Allende book on my way home from my walk but you've packed them away'. I was able to grab the book and hand it out to her, yay!
She said what a wonderful idea it was and we said 'we do it every year' which made her happy I think. Another person who was biking up the road yelled out 'thanks it was a great idea!'

So anyway, whether we peopled the stand and had a function afterwards, or not as the case was this year - it was a success and once again, thank you for your donations of books (the OBCZ needs a definite restock now!), I look forward to what we can achieve next year - hopefully some new members for sure :D

This sounds great! Yes, let's see if some journal entires/catches come up too eventually, it will be fun to watch!

Congrats!

That's fabulous, good on you both.

You can be proud :-)

wingtigergirlnzwing 6 mos ago
Shucks
thanks guys :D

It was floating in the stream ???!!!
https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/15528595

Interesting. Hopefully in a bookcrossing bag so it was nice and dry.

Interesting. Hopefully in a bookcrossing bag so it was nice and dry.

Very interesting...and odd! I wonder which stream? There are none on the hill that I live on LOL. And yes, I had put each book in a zip lock bag with an 'I'm Free, I'm not Lost' BC stick note in each. This is the first catch and, well, like a catch of fish??? I hope others didn't end up in a stream!

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.