🇦🇺 🧼🖐 Coronavirus & Gold Coast convention

Forum » Conventions and Meetings | Refresh | Search

Sort Options 

Complete Thread
1. The convention is planned and is intended to go ahead as advertised.

2. There are no Australian or Queensland government restrictions in place to affect it. Gatherings of over 500 people have been cancelled, and there are local cancellations here and there, but we have around 45 attendees, we're good.

3. There are no air travel restrictions in place between Australian and either Europe or America (apart from Italy and places like China, Iran, South Korea). The Australian government is warning against non-essential travel, but not stopping anyone. This may change at the drop of a hat, the way things are going, but we'll let you know if something happens.

4. The organising committee is watching carefully. And anxiously. We are torn between wanting this to go ahead, because we are looking forward to hosting a gathering of booklovers and friends, and worried that we are exposing the same to danger and expense and inconvenience.

5. Australia is about as infected as any other place in the Western world. There are a few cases diagnosed, in hospital; overall numbers are low, but as with everywhere else, increasing. The real danger seems to be simply getting out and mixing with others. On one hand crowds in air terminals and airliners are a hazard, but on the other hand there seems to be a dearth of the usual crowds in these places at the moment.

6. The convention is five weeks away. In that time we could see government decisions affecting our plans, such as limiting all public gatherings, or insisting on quarantine periods for travellers, or mandatory isolation regimes.

7. At the moment, we are on. This may change, but if we are forced to cancel, we will make an announcement as widely and as quickly as possible.

8. I and many others will be attending, convention or no. If we can't set up the planned central location at the Kurrawa Surf Club, we'll have an Unconvention, where we'll do things together and get together for meals, in the usual ad-hoc BookCrossery way we do these things in Australia and New Zealand nowadays.

9. If we have to cancel, we'll put in a bid for 2022, and we'll keep as much of our 2020 preparations in place as possible. Tickets can be refunded or rolled over. We'll work out the details.

10. If anyone wants to cancel their ticket, that's fine. You, your doctor, your national government, your family come first. These are strange and unprecedented times, and this whole thing comes under the sort of "non-essential travel" that government warnings are advising against. If you feel uncomfortable about travel and gatherings, that's entirely understandable. Just let us know, and we'll work out the refunds or whatever.

11. TL;DR - we're still planned to go ahead as advertised. If government forces us to cancel, we'll let you know ASAP, we'll have something less formal in place for the same dates, we'll rebid for 2022.

Just got the news that Singapore don’t allowed travel ors transit. That crush our flights. Have to check out if something alternativ can be done.

Just got the news that Singapore don’t allowed travel ors transit. That crush our flights. Have to check out if something alternativ can be done.

What! No! If that stands then that is our flight too.

Yoúre not flying via Germany or France? I guess Sweden will be ok - at this time.

Yoúre not flying via Germany or France? I guess Sweden will be ok - at this time.

Yes, I saw that after I wrote. So ok - so far.

Luckily, I had already cancelled my stopover in Singapore and made it transit only. Now I have to hope I don't have a temperature! I think they will be very strict there! At the moment I'm planning on coming, if there are no dramatic changes that would curtail flight plans. I guess a decider would be if Australia decide to quarantine new arrivals. I could cope at being isolated at home, but if I was stuck in isolation thinking of you all on the beach that would be too much!

Luckily, I had already cancelled my stopover in Singapore and made it transit only. Now I have to hope I don't have a temperature! I think they will be very strict there! At the moment I'm planning on coming, if there are no dramatic changes that would curtail flight plans. I guess a decider would be if Australia decide to quarantine new arrivals. I could cope at being isolated at home, but if I was stuck in isolation thinking of you all on the beach that would be too much!

Oops! Sorry, logged in as my OBCZ when I replied!

Hi, Singapore has blocked entry and transit.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/---/covid19-travel-restrictions-italy-france-germany-spain-12534476

Hi, Singapore has blocked entry and transit.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/---/covid19-travel-restrictions-italy-france-germany-spain-12534476

Thank you for the link, I wish they had included the UK in that ban, would have made a refund on air fares easier to get!

Here is a link with further info:
https://www.gov.sg/---/covid-19-travel-restrictions-for-foreign-visitors-entering-singapore

“From 15 March 2020, 2359 hours, all new visitors with recent travel history to France, Germany, Italy and Spain within the last 14 days will not be allowed entry into or transit through Singapore.”

I should have read your post before essentially repeating it myself. I love Singapore. I've been there more times than I can count, but never ever left the airport. It's a holiday destination in itself. A transit hub rivalling Hong Kong's enormous terminal.

As Asian hubs, they are both concerned with passengers leaving China. China's Coronavirus situation is improving, so they may re-open at some stage.

Have to check out if something alternativ can be done.

I'm intending to fly from Düsseldorf over Dubai to Brisbane. That is currently still possible.

Have to check out if something alternativ can be done.

I'm intending to fly from Düsseldorf over Dubai to Brisbane. That is currently still possible.

If Emirates' vast network shuts down, it is serious indeed.

Much as I love Qantas, Emirates - or Qatar - is my preferred way of getting to Europe. I fly to Dubai, and from there I can catch a wide body flight to just about anywhere in Europe. I can avoid the hassle and expense of Heathrow.

Emirates is pretty much a government operation from top to bottom. They have an eyewatering amount of investment there. 115 Airbus A380s at half a billion dollars a copy. About as much again in Boeing 777s. Dubai won't stop that lot from flying if they can possibly help it.

Here's the news release from the Singapore government. It's not a total ban, but for some of us, effectively a shutdown:

"From 15 March 2020, 2359 hours, all new visitors with recent travel history to France, Germany, Italy and Spain within the last 14 days will not be allowed entry into or transit through Singapore."

https://www.gov.sg/---/covid-19-travel-restrictions-for-foreign-visitors-entering-singapore

Hope you find alternatives RazFaz

...wish I could join you, just not feasible this year, but planning to see you in Finland, 2021.

wing6of8wing 7 mos ago
I feel selfish
But at least half of my thoughts these days boil down to "please let me go to Australia." I don't even care if I am quarantined coming back. But I also know things are serious for many people and if lots of things close the economy will be severely damaged.

Fingers crossed and hands washed or vice versa.

But at least half of my thoughts these days boil down to "please let me go to Australia." I don't even care if I am quarantined coming back. But I also know things are serious for many people and if lots of things close the economy will be severely damaged.

Fingers crossed and hands washed or vice versa.

I am not going to say come or don't come, Six. This is entirely in your freshly washed hands. And those of the various governments who are trying to deal with this crisis.

If I see you next month, great. If I see you next year in Finland, also great.

4. The organising committee is watching carefully. And anxiously. We are torn between wanting this to go ahead, because we are looking forward to hosting a gathering of booklovers and friends, and worried that we are exposing the same to danger and expense and inconvenience.

Yes! Each time I check the news (and that's about every three minutes!) I dread what I am going to read.

But I add my voice to Skyring's - while we would love to see you, it is your decision (or perhaps it will be government decisions) and we will be doing the best we can whatever happens. We do still have a bit more time before we decide either way, but lets all cross our fingers.

But I add my voice to Skyring's - while we would love to see you, it is your decision (or perhaps it will be government decisions)

For me, it's totally in the hands of the various governments involved. If I'm allowed, I will come.

Although I can't attend myself, I worry about all the BookCrossers who do and hope everyone will stay safe and healthy.

My plans depend on whatever decision various governments made. FutureCat and I will have to self isolate for 14 days when we return and if Australian government decide to copy this we won't be able to travel.

My plans depend on whatever decision various governments made. FutureCat and I will have to self isolate for 14 days when we return and if Australian government decide to copy this we won't be able to travel.

Oh bugger!

If the self isolation thing is still in place for NZ by the time of the convention, I'll probably have to pull out. I can't imagine I'd be popular with work if I had to take an extra two weeks off work because I chose to go on holiday. I'm going to investigate whether working from home would be an option for the isolation period, but I'm doubtful that would work out.

Me too

Yeah this is us too, given that the con is happening in the middle weekend of the school holidays, and I'm a children's librarian! I'm already being given snarky comments about taking the first week of the hols off, if I have to take the next two weeks off too that really isn't fair to my colleagues.

That will probably not be your problem. Here we have closed down every public social building, so no schools no libraries etc. I bet your country will follow soon... 😥
Yeah this is us too, given that the con is happening in the middle weekend of the school holidays, and I'm a children's librarian! I'm already being given snarky comments about taking the first week of the hols off, if I have to take the next two weeks off too that really isn't fair to my colleagues.

That's exactly the sort of thing that we have no control over. It's one thing for Australians to move around within Australia, but if international travel to the next island over is an embuggerance, then how can we expect people from across the world to attend?

My dear wife is reading a forum and the comments page is - as always - a trove of useful social observation. You'd think, said one, that all these national leaders and important officials would be so well protected that they'd be tested every day.

Good idea, another said, and give them a daily colonoscopy as well.

I think the decision would be made for me, so I will just wait and see.

A few weeks ago I agonized over visiting my parents in Hong Kong, then I wondered if I should go ahead to a beer festival. Turns out it's not my choice.

I think it is possible that Australia will be banning flights from the US, seeing what an awesome job Trump is doing, and how prepared people are besides stocking up on toilet paper.

BTW, here's a very good site to keep up to date with the news and data. Scroll down for details of cases and travel restrictions.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

I guess that is the death knell 😢

I am out as I am assuming that they are including New Zealanders. I don't think that my sister would appreciate me being holed up in her house for two weeks before coming to the Gold Coast. Also means the geocaching event that I was planning on going to is out as well.

See you in 2022!

Not necessarily, they may lift it before the convention.

On another note - bloody stupid Australian person who flew into Wellington between being tested and being told he was positive!!! I am LIVID

On another note - bloody stupid Australian person who flew into Wellington between being tested and being told he was positive!!! I am LIVID

I know! What a dickhead!

But yes, if you can come to the GC, a few of us will still be there. It won't be a convention though, more like a few friends just getting together, un-con style.

I know! What a dickhead!

But yes, if you can come to the GC, a few of us will still be there. It won't be a convention though, more like a few friends just getting together, un-con style.

If that’s allowed within travel restrictions - I’m in, it’ll be good to see people.

Will become a collectors item.

This is the last post I want to be writing, but I don't think we have any choice now but to cancel the convention. The 14-day self-isolation Australia has put on all international arrivals starting tomorrow is going to make it very difficult for anyone to visit from overseas and it even if every Australian turned up, we would be lucky to cover costs.

While there is the possibility that in four weeks the requirement will be lifted, I think that is unlikely, and we have to make the call sooner rather than later to be able to cancel all of our bookings.

So instead, unless anyone has any objections, we will start all over again and plan to host the Anniversary Convention April 22-24th 2022.

Right now we are kind of in shock, but over the next few days we will work out how to refund everyone. We will still have some costs as of course we have already put together the goodie bags and we will lose our deposit for the venue, but I am hopeful that once we calculate everything we will be able to refund at least close to the full amount. Another option we will consider is if you are sure you want to attend in 2022 we could hold the payment for then.

Assuming domestic travel is still possible, a few of us hope to still be in the area since we have flights all paid for. Closer to the date I will find out who else is planning to come and organise something to at least say hi. Of course you do not have to meet up with us if you choose not to, but the offer will be there.

If you have any questions, please contact me and I will do my best to answer them

I'm so sorry for you guys.
I cross posted this thread on the Dutch Forum.

I'm sorry for all of you, for the organisation and for the bookcrossers who wanted to visit.

Another option we will consider is if you are sure you want to attend in 2022 we could hold the payment for then.

You can definitely hold my payment for 2022 - barring pandemics and natural disasters, I'll be there!

You can hold my payment for 2022

How very sad for you, i would certainly like it if you could do the 2022 convention, I'll certainly look into going if you do that

Sad & bad news for this year, but interesting for me personally: 2022 is the year of my 50th birthday and I'd like to do something special then, travel-wise. So I'm thinking that Australia & New Zealand go quite high on the list of possibilities if there's a convention, even when it's not the same month as the Big Day!

2022 is the year of my 50th birthday and I'd like to do something special then, travel wise

April 2022 is my Douglas Adams birthday (42)! So I might celebrate in Gold Coast!

2022 is the year of my 50th birthday and I'd like to do something special then, travel wise

April 2022 is my Douglas Adams birthday (42)! So I might celebrate in Gold Coast!

Sounds like a fabulous idea!

Please do not worry about refunds for bludanzer22 and I. We are coming in 2022 if we have to start rowing tomorrow. So sorry and sad and love you guys so much!

That's a shame, but probably wise.

RE: costs - save the goodie bags for 2022!

And have a sit-down with the venue. I know that a lot of places here are being very accommodating with guests who have to cancel, and refunding some costs even when there is ordinarily a "no refund" policy. Frankly, it's just good PR.

That's a shame, but probably wise.

RE: costs - save the goodie bags for 2022!

And have a sit-down with the venue. I know that a lot of places here are being very accommodating with guests who have to cancel, and refunding some costs even when there is ordinarily a "no refund" policy. Frankly, it's just good PR.

Thanks Mojosmom

Yes, goodie bags will be saved. I don't *think* we got 2020 printed on anything, but if we did, well, it will be an unusual souvenir in 2022 :-)

I've already spoken with the venue beforehand just in case we needed to cancel. They will move the booking to later in the year, but not two years. I will try to convince them again when I call to cancel. In the grand scheme of things, the deposit really isn't all that much, so while it would be better if they would move it, we can cover it.

I've already spoken with the venue beforehand just in case we needed to cancel. They will move the booking to later in the year, but not two years. I will try to convince them again when I call to cancel. In the grand scheme of things, the deposit really isn't all that much, so while it would be better if they would move it, we can cover it.

As mentioned elsewhere, I'd be happy to still support with a raffle prize. Content will be different as obviously I can't mail beer or anything too heavy. But if needed, let us know so maybe we can do a fundraiser or raffle to help cover the cost and maybe get some funds for 2021 since they won't have any inheritance.

Seriously, I am very sorry for the organisers who put such effort in to finding an amazing location, speakers, and events to entertain us all. And for the people willing to save up time off and money to travel to see fellow book enthusiasts, to see it stopped so close to the fun.

Thanks for the clear update, best to make a call now so people can make plans. *virtual elbow bump*

I have cancelled my accommodation
I hope I don't get a cancellation fee. But that is nothing that those travelling from further afield have had to deal with. I am pleased I hadn't booked anything else.
I was away last night. That might be the last night away until this crisis is over. Day trips at most now; into the country, away from people.
Thank you to all those who have been working for this; Skyring, RosieCanberra, romney; and anyone else. It was wonderful the work you put into this, and I am so sorry.

I have cancelled my accommodation
I hope I don't get a cancellation fee. But that is nothing that those travelling from further afield have had to deal with. I am pleased I hadn't booked anything else.
I was away last night. That might be the last night away until this crisis is over. Day trips at most now; into the country, away from people.
Thank you to all those who have been working for this; Skyring, RosieCanberra, romney; and anyone else. It was wonderful the work you put into this, and I am so sorry.

Thanks Goldenwattle :)

wingEdwardstreetwing 7 mos ago
Bugga
Please keep my deposit for 2022.
If travel restrictions are lifted in 16 days I will still be coming to the GC as we were having some family time that week as well.

As for the plonker who came to Wellington this weekend knowing he could have the virus he should join the terrorist who caused havoc here 12 months ago. Lucky he isn’t lynched.

I just realized what a great treasure my shower curtain and bathmat combo is! Makes me smile every time I see it. So glad that I was able to get some merch that will be a great heirloom for my cats to inherit.

... but we are deeply disappoint. As I told at another place, we are so sorry for the organisation committee. You made a fantastic work with the ideas, tours, helpfull cares for everyone and much more.
you schedule is so worth to keep it for another convention in paradise. Please hold our payment for 2022.

I'm sure we will have a blast in 2022! So sorry for the committee, please keep my fee, hopefully I'll make it next time. Thanks for all the work you have put in and I hope unraveling everything won't be too onerous, so disappointed not to be seeing everyone!

sorry to see it and so many other things being cancelled - but it is what is ...

just wondering if attendees are being informed by pm - some obviously know through this thread and others via facebook maybe, but others might not know yet - i don't check in here that often, tho i did see the post from a couple of days ago
and now i see it is cancelled :( that's sad...

re accommodation - i did have an email on the weekend telling me there'll be some relaxing of cancellation rules and penalties for future bookings, so now i have to decide whether to cancel that - we did have plans to see some elderly relatives in southern qld, but it might suit everyone better outside of school holidays

thanks for all your hard work - to now and in coming days, weeks

;)

We've not contacted anyone personally yet, but will do so in the days to come once we know what we are doing. I'm not sure how exactly yet, but we will make sure we get a message through somehow. I believe we have email addresses from the TryBooking site so will use them if required :-)

What a shame. I'm sorry that you had to do it, but I'm sure it was the right thing to do, for everyone's health and safety.

Be well, everyone!

romney 7 mos ago
An Update
We've now cancelled everything, and we can start to look at our costs and refunds.

I'm pleased to say our venue allowed us to move our deposit to 2022, which was our biggest cost to date. They originally told me that we could reschedule for later in the year but two years away was too far so I am particularly happy with the outcome.

Please give us another couple of days to get things in order, but be assured we haven't forgotten. I'm sure you can imagine that like everyone else right now we have a million things going on.

And while I'm here, thank you all so much for the support. I'm excited to try to bring together a bigger and better convention in 2022 - especially since the bones of it are already planned so we can work instead on other bits and pieces.

Stay safe and healthy!

I'm pleased to say our venue allowed us to move our deposit to 2022

That's splendid news!

My refund seems to have been activated already!

But, is there any way we can support you with outstanding debts? There are sure to be some, I would have preferred it if you could have kept the money to set against expenses. When you have worked it out please let us know how we can help?

But, is there any way we can support you with outstanding debts? There are sure to be some, I would have preferred it if you could have kept the money to set against expenses. When you have worked it out please let us know how we can help?

Quite a few people asked the same - including me - but after considerable discussion, we decided that we'd rather get the money back to people to do with as they wish.

Two years is a long time. It's not as if we are assured of winning the bid for 2022 against whatever stiff competition may present itself. Plans and circumstances may change - I guess our lives are full of this being smacked in our face at the moment, right? - and planning a big trip to Australia in 2022 might not work out with new jobs, new partners, new family members, whatever.

For me, personally, the years of having adult children whom I may safely ignore whilst I travel the world have been wonderful, but in a few months time, all going well, I will have grandparent responsibilities to consider.

Those who planned to attend in April will undoubtedly have refunds for travel and accommodation to process, and the money coming back is rarely what was paid out originally after fees and currency conversions and so on.

So, while we are deeply grateful for the love and generosity demonstrated by the many kind offers for us to keep the money, we'll keep the love instead as a far more valuable commodity. Thank you!

Honestly, it works out a lot easier for us to clear the books this way. I think the money passed on by the Mainz team has been enough to cover our immediate expenses, so we're not in too bad shape, actually.

We've got other things to do to get back to a clean slate, and there are NSS and raffle donations to process. There may be some activities on the Gold Coast over the convention weekend, but then again, the way things are going we may all be in total lockdown by then.

Watch this space!

It's not as if we are assured of winning the bid for 2022

I'd vote for you! Even if I couldn't make it, I think it would be very unfair for you not to get it.

in a few months time, all going well, I will have grandparent responsibilities to consider

Congratulations! That's great news.

Quite a few people asked the same - including me - but after considerable discussion, we decided that we'd rather get the money back to people to do with as they wish.

Thanks for that Skyring,

But if you need donations, please ask!

It's not as if we are assured of winning the bid for 2022 against whatever stiff competition may present itself.

Errrrrmmmmm.........This has been awarded to Gold Coast already.
As per MLA's note yesterday, the list has been updated accordingly for dates 22-24th April 2022.
https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/560465

It's not as if we are assured of winning the bid for 2022 against whatever stiff competition may present itself.

As per MLA's note yesterday, the list has been updated accordingly for dates 22-24th April 2022.

So, congratulations to Gold Coast!!
Happy to say I've saved some books to release there already!!

Much as I would like to see Gold Coast get the 2022 Convention, I do not believe that MLA can unilaterally award it to them.

Isn't there supposed to be a vote?

Absolutely happy to have a vote - but right now the only bid is for the Gold Coast. No one had contacted us to put in a bid at the convention either. If you - or anyone else - is willing to put up a bid then a vote can take place.

Absolutely happy to have a vote - but right now the only bid is for the Gold Coast. No one had contacted us to put in a bid at the convention either. If you - or anyone else - is willing to put up a bid then a vote can take place.

Ah, well, then, you get it by default!

is that a bid for Chicago I hear? I would love to return to a fabulous city with a new president to celebrate an America emerging from the grating years.

is that a bid for Chicago I hear? I would love to return to a fabulous city with a new president to celebrate an America emerging from the grating years.

I wish! But there's not really a BC community here to put it together.

It shouldnt be awarded until nominations close, which are during the traditional date of the annual convention.

While Australia appears to be the only nomination and everyone seems very keen to see the work of the 2020 committee be fulfilled the assumption people will ignore the voting system (which often only about one city offered so is a "yes" or "no" poll at times) is bizarre.

One person updating a list, passive aggressive comments from an organiser when a query of voting occurs...these things do not determine the outcome.

It shouldnt be awarded until nominations close, which are during the traditional date of the annual convention.

I'm happy for you that you can find the energy to care about this. To be honest, I can't.

I'm happy for you that you can find the energy to care about this. To be honest, I can't.

Goodo

About energy. Is the BC shop still functioning, or not.

Is the BC shop still functioning, or not.

Yes, it is. It's functioning as normal.

Is the BC shop still functioning, or not.

Yes, it is. It's functioning as normal.

Thank you. I just ran out of numbered labels, but I have unnumbered ones to tide me over. Expect an order soon :)

While Australia appears to be the only nomination and everyone seems very keen to see the work of the 2020 committee be fulfilled the assumption people will ignore the voting system (which often only about one city offered so is a "yes" or "no" poll at times) is bizarre.

Nobody else has nominated, but I heartily agree. Let us follow the traditional process as much as possible. We should have nominations and a vote in this forum on 18 April, which is the Saturday when we would have a vote in the now cancelled convention.

But, is there any way we can support you with outstanding debts?

Thank you so much for the offer!

We have just scraped in with no personal debt - and that is thanks to there being some left-over money from Mainz that was passed to us. So in effect, anyone who was in Mainz has already helped us cover it - and we are so grateful!

We are a little sad we can't return the favour and pass on some funds to Tampere, but hopefully we can make GC 2022 bigger and better and help out the 2023 city instead.

So the best thing you can do to help us out is to be here in 2022 :-)

Tampere

I have heard a vaccine could be 12 to 18 months away, so I am wondering if there will be a Convention next year either.

just announced...

https://www.abc.net.au/---/12071640

All non-residents will be banned from arriving in Australia from 9:00pm AEDT on Friday

It replaces earlier travel bans on foreigners coming from China, Iran, Italy and South Korea

Australians who return from overseas will still need to isolate themselves for a fortnight

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.