🇦🇺 Gold Coast April 2020 - anyone still going?

Forum » Conventions and Meetings | Refresh | Search

Sort Options 

Complete Thread
just wondering if anyone else is still going to the gold coast in april

my accommodation has refused to cancel my booking without a hefty penalty - i am looking for dates when i can get away for 10-14 days - because it takes a couple of days to get there and another 2 to drive home again ..

easter/school holidays have never been a time i choose to be on the road, and the gold coast is not anywhere near my top destinations ... at any time really ...

although not at the $1000-2000 per night range i first encountered, it is still not a cheap place i found - because we are travelling with the crazy dog - this place is not at all cheap

who'd have thought that back in december/january, we need a crystal ball

if others are still travelling up there, maybe we'll still go in april

;)

edit to add - this question is no longer relevant as qld closes its borders...
http://statements.qld.gov.au/---/border-control-slows-virus-spread

Hi! We are not going, we have received flight vouchers from Qantas and Virgin and a refund for our accommodation (we were staying at a friend's unit wo only paid a cleaning/management fee). We may still be out of pocket with the flight vouchers though as I understand they have to be used by 12 months of your original booking date, and we booked in advance. Also, where would we fly to? Tassie and NT have closed their borders, SA and WA are hoping to, and NSW and VIC want lockdown implemented.

It's such a shame we couldn't go ahead. I hope you are not too much out of pocket.

We may still be out of pocket with the flight vouchers though as I understand they have to be used by 12 months of your original booking date, and we booked in advance

Normally you only have to re-book in the 12 month timeframe. The flights can be anytime in the 12 months from then. Check the fine print though because there could be special conditions.

We may still be out of pocket with the flight vouchers though as I understand they have to be used by 12 months of your original booking date, and we booked in advance

Normally you only have to re-book in the 12 month timeframe. The flights can be anytime in the 12 months from then. Check the fine print though because there could be special conditions.

I hope so. The Qantas voucher says 'this credit voucher is valid for travel until 14 June 2020, after which your booking will be cancelled and the credit voucher value will be forfeited '
EDITED TO ADD: On the Qantas webpage it says credit vouchers will be extended to 30 September 2020.

SA is shutting it's borders this week so I think I have to finally admit I'm not going to be able to make it to the Gold Coast :-(

My attendance is hanging by a notional thread. I haven’t cancelled my accommodation just yet, but with the way governments are ordering lockdowns and closing borders, it’s likely just a matter of days, if not hours.

If I can’t travel for reasons outside my control, I can’t be responsible for accommodation I can’t use. AirBnB has some free cancellation allowances, and I expect them to expand this in days to come.

For myself, anything that involves contact with others is not a good idea. The way this virus works is that one might have it, not show any symptoms, but still be contagious. I’d hate to pick it up from someone else, but I’d really feel bad if it turned out that I gave it to somebody vulnerable.

I hate what has happened, and that so many things have been cancelled, but more than that I feel so sorry about so many people dying, and I am sure that there are many more to come. If I can save not just my own life, but those of others by sheltering at home, then that is something I can cherish.

wingLadyIndigowing 7 mos ago
i have my fingers crossed that the soon-to-be-banned interstate travel will be covered by the extenuating circumstances - i missed the cutoff by one day ... missed by that much as maxwell smart says - they are offering full refunds for bookings made before 14 march for stays from 14 april -> - my stay was to start on 15 april and it would have been the 14th but that place was not available on that day

and i agree skyring about not limiting contact - but i'd also like to think that we are responsible adults who know when to play and when to stay away - of course we never know about the other people we come into close or not so close contact with...

i also will not be happy to have to pay for accommodation i cannot use for reasons beyond my control

i hope everyone gets their refunds easily

wow don't things change hour by hour, not just day to day

;)

The border is closing on Thursday, it's a bit rough if they don't refund you.

One day after the free cancellation period. Then I was meant to have to pay half the accommodation price of about $360. I told them it was only one day after the cut off and that was a bit rough, so they reduced it to $200, but I still have not been charged.
Then I told a relative I wasn't coming to stay after the event. I imagine she is relieved in the circumstances. I would be.

The Queensland border will be closed, so it will be difficult to travel there.

I cancelled my accommodation on the last day of the "no penalty period". I have also cancelled my flights. I got a travel credit from Qantas for one flight. The other flight was with Virgin booked with frequent flyer points - I received a full refund of the points.

I'm happy I made the right decision, especially as Queensland is now closing its borders and will be turning away holiday makers.

I hope that means that you can all get a refund. Hate to see anyone losing money over the reservation,

I don't think they are ALL closed, but most of them are shutting down because they have no business. I had a cancellable booking anyway (I usually do! I always prepare for things to go wrong - or for me to change my mind and find somewhere better lol) so had no trouble getting my refund.

I hope everone else can do the same.

I had a cancellable booking

I usually do too, but I didn't in this case. The price and what I got for the price (apartment, balcony, dishwasher, washing machine, dryer for $99 a night...and not in one of the skyscrapers made it more desirable to me); plus under cover security parking at no extra cost and walking distance to the venue was too much to resist. I had free cancellation up to a month before and then 50% until 24 hours before, when no cancellation. I went one day over the free cancellation period, but so far I have not been charged, and I hope that continues. I was planning to drive up, but fortunately I hadn't made any booking of accommodation on the way.

Golden wattle I’d like to know where you got affordable accommodation!

Golden wattle I’d like to know where you got affordable accommodation!

It was $99 per night when a week was booked and I booked a week. More per night for shorter stays. I wondered if this was the normal price, as apparently road works or something were happening outside and were noisy during the day. There was a warning about that. But I wasn't planning to sleep during the day. I am hesitant to give the name here, as in two years I might be beaten to it, and it wasn't a huge apartment complex. Sorry. I can only suggest to go to a booking agency such as Expedia or Booking, and check the prices, and then ring the actual accommodation and ask if they do cheaper than what's advertised by the booking agent. That's what I did.

I had hotels booked for now (was supposed to be in Madrid now (or maybe travelling back to Bordeaux - they weren't refundable, however I got my final refund yesterday (for a hotel in Paris on Sat) Check closer to the time. They often can't refund until closer to the time. RE. golden wattles accomodaation, apartments seem to be a lot cheaper as you don't get cleaning every day. My accommodation in Bordeaux was £40 for the first couple of nights and then dropped down to about £20. For that I got an on suite room with cooking facilaties. Often not so central, however transport links in most cities are great. Worth looking out for (for reference, this works in Paris too and the cheapest normal hotel I could get was £55 for a single budget hotel)

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.